Thursday 13 November 2008

Boosh, Boosh, Stronger Than A Moose [12-11-08]

I went to see The Mighty Boosh Live in Brighton last night, and absolutely loved it. As a longtime fan, everything I could have wanted was in there, different characters and fun little sketches (Noel Fielding's turn as higher being Tony Harrison was particularly good, with some decent banter between him and a heckler, and Fielding losing his foothold and creating the illusion of Harrison's head slipping down the back of a chair), as well as live music from the Boosh Band.

However, I can see why it got such terrible reviews. There were too many little in-jokes, references to the series and stuff that seemed to be reserved only for fans of the show. For example, anyone who hadn't seen the show before would have been totally bemused by the appearance of the Crack Fox, and people may have been offended by the Hitcher's repeated use of rape jokes (although as he stated, they were funny simply because it was a raven doing the actual raping).

The night was topped off by the appearance of Eleanor, Rich Fulcher's disturbingly sexual female character, calling bingo numbers ("4, the number of Arctic Monkeys I've had in my vagina"), ultimately leading up to the number "666," after which the curtains opened to reveal the entire cast of Boosh dressed up as old grannies to sing "Nanageddon," followed by the raucous punk smash originally played by Terminal Margaret "I Did A Shit On Your Mum," and finally "Charlie," a metal song about a living blob of pink bubblegum.

All in all, a truly bizarre, but bizarrely wonderful night's entertainment. I now want to speak Chavese, Vince Noir's proposed future language, a mixture of Chinese and Chav.

Also, my good friend Meg was driven to jealous insanity as she discovered that, at one point, I had been no more than two feet away from Noel Fielding, wearing a T-Shirt with his likeness scrawled all over the front. I just wanted to note that down so there was a copy of my triumph in the annals of history.

No comments: