Monday 17 November 2008

Festive Hell [15-11-08]

I tried to do my first bit of Christmas shopping today, and I emphasise the word tried to what some call an unnecessary degree. I headed into central Reading with all the best intentions - I had vague ideas of what I wanted to get for people, and thought, somewhat arrogantly, that once I started shopping it would become much easier, and the ideas would become much more solid in my mind.

Wishful thinking, as it turned out.

There was literally nothing to give me the slightest touch of inspiration in town - I wandered around the shops for over two hours and found nothing I wanted to buy for anyone. Now, I have a fairly easy time Christmas shopping compared to other people - I have to buy presents for my mum, my dad, my brother and my grandparents - in my group of friends we don't tend to bother about Christmas presents, we just worry about birthdays seeing as we are all skint students or ex-students. But even this fairly minor task was too mammoth for the poor shopping facilities in Reading.

I wanted to get my parents a fairly simple present, which I'm not going to mention on here in the slim chance that they might read it, a present which, any other year, could be found in any decent department store. But not this year - I hunted around all the major department stores we have access to in Reading and found el zilcho.

So I came away having bought nothing for anyone else, but with a long list of ideas for presents I wanted to ask for myself. Seems selfish, but I blame Reading.

I get the feeling I might be doing most of my Christmas shopping online this year...

No comments: